A complete education demands not only training of the intellect/students but also training of the inner mind as well. And this simply means the formation of character is as important as the acquisition of knowledge.
Again the intellectual ability, is no proof that we will be able to master the difficulty of life and the right principles of action to take in time of distress
Although, it seems most people still have a fairly strong conception of what virtue and ethical standard is about, so for them the effort to live a virtuous life will not motivate many of their actions.
We are told, that ethics is used to address the very question of “How we should behave towards others”.
On the other hand, virtue tends to address the question of “How we should behave in general, not only in relation to others, but also in relation to ourselves and the wider society we find ourselves”.
So living a virtuous life can be related below:
- Living a virtuous life attempt to guide our human behavior by all means and also our philosophical and psychological understanding as human beings.
- Having virtue itself make us develop a certain quality of thought and behaviour that place us in a better relation to ourselves and the environment in which we find ourselves.
Here are the list of virtues we hope to focus here:
1.FORTITUDE-This is the strength of mind, strength of character, moral strength and toughness of spirit.
2. TEMPERANCE– This is as moderation or voluntary self-restraint from something.
3. HONESTY– This is the quality of being consistent in truth. This is because honesty is but a commitment to tell the truth, no matter what, at all time.
4. COMPASSION-This is the quality of consideration for others.
Now I have a simple question for my reader, fellow bloggers and my followers.
What is your idea about living a virtuous life?
Please let me know all your reactions, views and insights in the comment box below!
Kogwuonye Patrick Onyeka
University of Benin